Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Mrs. Encyclopedia Seinfeldica

We all have unusual gifts, talents, and, well, knacks for things. I tend to remember lines of dialogue I've heard and can parrot them back with decided accuracy, which is sometimes useful for low-brow entertainment purposes. This is okay, but my wife has a creepy ability to organize in her head complex plotlines to television programs and, in some cases, COMIC STRIPS, with powers of instant recall that make the Pentium 4 chip look like a geriatric cassette tape drive.

This talent will normally manifest in direct relation to "Seinfeld", "the Simpsons", and "King of the Hill", but there are other examples. She first discovered her super-power as it emerged for the comic strip "Bloom County", which ran for several years in the 80's. You could tell her the dialogue from the first panel of the strip (from among thousand of strips), and she could give you the last panel. You may ask her, "Remember the episode where Elaine's cousin is dating Jerry", and she would outline the enitre episode with each character's storyline for you. Mr. Dewey of the famed decimal system would be proud, but would most likely want his mommy.

Challenge her on this some time. She may frighten you, but you will not be disappointed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I don't think I want to be challenged. I'm frightened.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

I don't think I want to challenge her. She'll frighten me.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I don't think I could compare to Frank on the Monty Python front (leaving the room, yes).
I do know that anyone who attempts to watch The Holy Grail with us will be annoyed.
Yea.

8:10 PM  
Blogger katy said...

I think she can do it with the Far Side as well.

I have a similar (genetic) memory, but it has to do more with the original cast of Barney and Friends, clothing, events from childhood and SNL.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home