Thursday, January 19, 2006

Gross Tunage

Funny how 20 years ago (yikes!), okay, even 15 years ago, I listened to Christian music almost exclusively. No, not almost, just exclusively. Now - hate it. I'm using the word HATE here. Has Christian music really changed that much? Have I? Both?

I'm not really much of a country fan either, so I suppose I'm in the wrong town. I am, however, discovering some wonderful americana acts like Patty Griffin, Kathleen Edwards, Rodney Crowel, and Mindy Smith. They are at the very least, honest, even if their view of the truth can sometimes be slightly skewed. At least their music's not written for the purpose of selling T-shirt catch phrases for your youth group to adopt. Or books - gee whiz, when did bands start writing books?! Why is anyone buying books full of what musicians have to say? Have you spent time with any musicians? Morons, all of them.

Okay, I'm better now. Your thoughts?

9 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

I not a huge fan of either genre, as well. There are a few country artists that I can stand for more that 30 minutes, but I guess they really fall more on the bluegrass side.

Yes, I love bluegrass.

Oh, and Deidra's good, too.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Deidra said...

haha..thanks becca.
yess, i admit i love country and bluegrass. I've gone to the Grand Ol Opry a couple of times and have had a blast...so there.
americana music is also awesome. Patty Griffin and Mindy Smith are amazing..hey.. weren't you gonna try to get me to meet Mindy Smith???

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is totally unrelated but I wanted to let you know that I did respond to your question you posted on my blog. You can read it here. Thanks for being involved and asking good questions :) Best wishes to you and Jen,
-Jeff

8:26 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I do like Jack FM, but it is some times a little TOO eclectic. Never was a fan of Chumbawumba personally, but that's another issue. Mostly the name. Lightning 100 is usually my fave.

Thanks, Jeff, for your response. I've been meaning to comment when I have more than two minutes to rub together, but it hasn't happened yet.

Yes, Mindy ROCKS. Yes, I was going to try to get you to meet her. It didn't happen. Get over it. :)

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, I couldn't find your email. If you would rather continue this discussion through that forum feel free to contact me here . Hope all is well!
-Jeff

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, I couldn't find your email. If you would rather continue this discussion through that forum feel free to contact me at jefferwat@gmail.com. If it's working on the blog format for you, that's fine too. Hope all is well!
-Jeff

4:22 PM  
Blogger van Danne said...

i think i'm with you chris. i do listen to some christian music, but i'm very.... very picky. and country... well i can really get into a good country song, and i do have some favorites. but i rarely listen to it. besides three groups i just like individual songs. those three groups are rascal flatts, blackhawk and diamond rio. mainstream i know... i do not have the privilege of being exposed to good stuff like you're mentioning, though i'd like to.

but bluegrass... yes becca, i do love bluegrass.

2:48 AM  
Blogger van Danne said...

ok so looking over that comment i don't guess i can actually say that i am with you chris. maybe... close to you. near you. i can see you from across the room.

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home